At The Community Foundation of Greater Peterborough, we inspire giving to build a vital community for everyone. The Community Foundation of Greater Peterborough connects caring people to the local charities who are addressing them. Through the generosity of people in our community, we pool resources to improve the quality of life in the City and County of Peterborough, Curve Lake First Nation and Hiawatha First Nation.
Since making our first grant in 2011, the Community Foundation has invested more than $6 million dollars in charitable organizations serving our local communities. With an ambitious goal of deepening the impact of community philanthropy in our region, the Foundation is currently focusing on supporting a just recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, adopting equity-based approaches to philanthropy, grantmaking, fund development and the critical work of integrating ethical, social and governance factors, including Reconciliation and climate change, into our investments.
We are seeking expressions of interest from people who have the passion, capacity, and energy to join our board and work collaboratively with other volunteers and our staff to advance the strategic goals of the organization.
Attributes of a board member
We are looking for people who embody a commitment to community in all that they do. We know that this can take many forms and that sometimes the most qualified people are those that are least likely to put their hands up for leadership opportunities. Included below are a set of attributes that we feel would make for a strong addition to our board:
- An aptitude for big picture thinking and problem solving
- Openness to exploring the role of philanthropy and charities in creating systems of fairness, justice and equity
- Desire to learn about and participate in non-profit governance, including strategic decision making, policy work, networking and operational fundraising
- Interest in opportunities for growth through learning, collaboration and consensus building
In addition to these general attributes, we are also seeking to welcome individuals who may have experience in the fields of finance, law, human resources or fundraising, and those with a strong understanding of issues and opportunities in the City or County of Peterborough.
As an organization committed to building governance structures that reflect the diversity of our community, we will prioritize expressions of interest from people with BIPoC, 2SLGBTTQ+, and other intersectional identities, and we welcome expressions of interest from people who live (and or work) in all areas of the City or County of Peterborough.
Commitments & Expectations
- Board terms begin/renew at the Annual General Meeting (June of each year) and directors are elected to serve a three-year term. Directors may serve up to two consecutive terms.
- The board of directors meets between 6 and 10 times per year. Board members are also expected to contribute to committees and other ad-hoc projects. Time commitments run an average of 5-7 hours per month.
- Currently, most board and committee meetings are held virtually. Occasional in-person meetings such as the AGM, and board orientation sessions are being planned.
- New board members are expected to participate in an orientation program, which will include group activities as well as online learning. All board members have access to ongoing learning and development opportunities.
- Board members are expected to contribute to the fundraising or stewardship work of the Foundation which may include a personal donation, supporting outreach initiatives, or thanking donors.
- Each board member has a legal responsibility to participate actively in making decisions on behalf of the organization and to exercise their best judgment while doing so.
Persons with accessibility needs who anticipate accommodations for any part of the application process, including access to reliable internet, should contact, in confidence, Executive Director, Jennifer DeBues jennifer.debues [at] cfgp.ca
Expressions of Interest
If you’re keen to contribute to building a vital community as a member of our board of directors, please take a few minutes to express your interest using this form. A member of our nominations committee will be in touch with you to follow up.
If you want to better understand the Community Foundation before you apply, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Jennifer.